Family Law

Free Initial Consultation

FREE Initial Consultation

Beverly Child Support Enforcement Attorney

My Spouse Won’t Pay His Child Support. What Can I Do?

When Massachusetts family courts issue orders for child custody and support, they aren’t mere suggestions. The legal system fully expects that payers will pay the full amounts of their financial obligations.

Nevertheless, failures to obey custody orders or pay support are extremely common. A parent may become unhappy with the terms of an order, and “protest” by failing to pay monthly support or by keeping a child longer than the custody order allows.

If these circumstances are familiar to you, it is important that you retain an experienced Massachusetts enforcement attorney who can help you. At the Law Office of Mary Jo Pothier, in Beverly Farms, Massachusetts, we have more than 15 years of experience in helping clients to resolve difficult family law problems, including those involving enforcement.

Options we can pursue on your behalf:

  • Complaint for contempt. Once this is filed, it is up to the other party to prove he or she has obeyed the order in question. If the person skips the hearing or cannot prove that support payments are current, he or she can be held in “contempt of court.”
  • Administrative action. Massachusetts driver’s licenses, as well as many professional licenses to practice in fields including medicine and law, can be revoked if the license holder fails to pay support or abide by child custody orders. By pursuing such administrative options, we can increase your leverage and ensure compliance.
  • Modification. Sometimes, payers are unable to pay through no fault of their own. Likewise, they may be violating child custody terms because of work restrictions or other obligations they cannot easily change. In these circumstances, we may be able to help you obtain a modification of your court order, so you can remain in compliance in the future.

Your Advocate And Defender In Enforcement Actions

Our founding lawyer, Mary Jo Pothier, is a compassionate and dedicated advocate for her clients, including those who need to pursue enforcement actions and those who seek to defend against them. If you have questions about your options regarding enforcement of a child custody, child support or spousal support order, we are prepared to help you.

Our law office provides a courtesy and confidential consultation to each of our prospective enforcement clients. As a result, there is no risk for you to contact us and learn your options. We serve clients throughout Hamilton Wenham, Middlesex County and Suffolk County. The Law Office of Mary Jo Pothier can be reached by calling 978-927-9298.